Friday, January 23, 2015

Of Socrates, Love, and Vocabulary...

This week, I loved hearing each of you share your sights, connections, and opinions about HABIBI and about the themes that emerged from the novel. Our Socratic Seminar yesterday was great fun--and I am very grateful that every single person shared their ideas. Huzzah!

We also explored the poem that I recited to my wife many years ago, and discussed its connections to Liyana and Omer's relationship in HABIBI.

Our word of the day today is ADMONISH, which means to warn or criticize in a gentle way. Here is an example of the word in a sentence: my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Looney, admonished me as a writer, which helped me to feel encouraged and also grow to become a stronger writer.

The only homework for this weekend is to get outside and enjoy some fresh air, the wide sky, and the feel of possibility.

Our quote of the day is from Shakespeare's HAMLET, when a character named Polonious says, "This above all: to thine own self be true."

Class, have a great weekend.

Peace,

Mr. R

No comments:

Post a Comment